Monday, September 30, 2013

Butterflies, and other blessings


ok.  so... Hi.  

You people sound like you're doing great.  and of course- i miss you... and your english. 

So i'm still here on a mission. and thank you everybody for reminding me that I have been out for 5 months... but lets not get ahead of ourselves here... that's next week. 

But this week was cool.  I've learned and taught a few things.

For starters: Butterflies are blessings. I swear it. 
I can't remember if I ever shared this- but the day that I left the MTC and we were at the Salt Lake Airport I hit a wall of anxiety.  Of course.  It was scary as crap! The whole 'getting off the bus and getting ready to load on a plane to the Philippines'- I was scared to death! So I remember walking over to the big window at our gate in the airport and just staring out the window watching the people load the luggage.  I was just doing my best to hold back tears and not take off running... ya know?  So I was standing there with every attempt to not let Elder Morty or Thacker see me on the verge of tears... or vomiting, and praying my heart and soul out to just take a breather, when suddenly a little white butterfly came and started flying right in front of my face on the other side of the window.  It was such a tender mercy. I know it was sent from Grandpa John to remind me that things would be ok. And they were!  So now whenever I see a butterfly... it's a blessing.  I see it and think.... "remember mads- things will be ok." This last week I saw so many butterflies! Everyday, they just followed me everywhere.  It was astig.  A butterfly even flew into my room yesterday when I was getting ready to go to church.  

Another thing learned: I miss my family.  And I'm so so so so so so grateful for my family! I've always known that I had the coolest cousins and aunts and uncles in the world.  I've always been so proud to be a Frame/Ray.  And I am so lucky that I have Garrett, Kae, Loey, James, Nathan and Davey to call my siblings.  Because here in the Philippines this last week was national "Family Week".  It's cool really.  But I mean- what better way to pour salt in an open wound by celebrating family... when mine is across the world? But we celebrated with a stake activity that went from 5:30 am to 8:00 pm.  I mean these Filipino's throw a big celebration when they have any reason to. Lot's of music, eating, dancing, activities, etc.  A huge celebration. It was well done.  and we only went to a few hours of it. But we got our investigators to come... well the kids of our investigators... so we basically just ended up babysitting. 

But ya know- it paid off, because all of them and their parents came to church yesterday.  It was incredible. The work is going well!

... All thanks to my companion.  Who is still the coolest little girl in the world.   Except, us being close has it's natural consequences.  I'm back to my old ways of fake punching people, and offering lots of knuckle sandwiches.  The other day we were walking to an appointment and I mentioned to Sister L, "We should think of something else to teach J.  What we have planned doesn't feel very relevant today" and Sis L agreed. Then with absolutely no hesitation she said, "We could teach her how to make a knuckle sandwich...." I also overheard her the other day say to an elder "Cool story bro. Tell it again." I'm creating a monster. hahah.  But I'm secretly so proud of it.

Ok so I know this is super lame.  But I don't have a ton else to share.  We're in a good place though. The people we're teaching are showing lots of progress and potential.  One of our less actives was actually (finally) considered 'rescued' and blessed the sacrament yesterday for the first time ever! It was so cool! N gave the closing prayer in sacrament too! 
It's little things like this that make the work so fun and so rewarding.  

The language is still rocking my world. But one day...I hope and pray.

Thanks for everything! I love love love you all! I miss you dearly.  And pray for you. Always. Obviously. K... Latuur.

-Sister Mads Frame

Favorite scriptures this week:
-Jacob (the whole book) read it people. it's so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment