Tuesday, September 17, 2013

In our service, He comes near


On Wednesday, I just about wanted to die...I don't think I had ever been that nervous in my life.  Seriously.  It took everything in my power and Sister P's power to actually get me on the bus to Cauayan for transfer meeting.  (I wanted to be the first one to try the whole 'not showing up to transfers just to see what would happen' approach.  But my Zone Leaders strongly discouraged it...squares.  I eventually got there, and again it took everything in my power to not just walk out the doors.  Overreacting?  TOTALLY.
But, you know what?  I actually stayed.  Had I known what was in store for me....I would not have hesitated or questioned the calling of being a trainer for one second.  I would have been the first to show up to the transfer meeting - because my companion is INCREDIBLE -

Her name is Sister L.  She's 20 years old and an even smaller Filipino than Sister P.  But like...so cute!  I could fit two of her in my pocket.  These last few days have been fun and a huge learning experience.  I can promise you that Sister L. is 100% training me.  No doubt about it.  A few times I've gotten so internally discouraged and frustrated because I feel so bad.  I'm relying on her and I need her so much more than she needs me.  Sometimes she still has to translate for me...or make sure I understand.  I'm the trainer - I should be the one helping her understand.  ya know?  But, I know the worst thing I could do is get discouraged by it.  I just have to keep working to keep up with her.  It's a humbling experience, but rewarding, too.

She's such a champion though.  I look up to her in every way.  The way this little girl talks to people is incredible.  I took her to N's house on our first day of work, and within 10 minutes of being there, N was sharing with Sister L all her stories.  I could just see how comfortable N was with her - remember how shy N used to be?  Instantly I thought, "Dang, this girl is good."  All of our investigators can just instantly feel her love for them.  It's such an answer to prayer.  

Really.

She worked with the missionaries a ton before she came out on her mission, so in lessons and street contacts, she's got it down.  She has taught me so much Tagalog.  She's patient with me and laughs like Kristin Chenoweth. Sister L is sassy, too, which has made our companionship super entertaining so far.

Last night before I went to bed, I was thinking, "How is it possible that I lucked out with the best nany (Sister P) and the best anak (Sister L) in the world?  We've already found 3 new investigators - all thanks to Sister L.  I'm thrilled to do this missionary work with her.

I failed to inform you of T and Mk last week.  T is getting baptized on Friday and Mk on Saturday.  T's baptism had been pushed back because he had school conflicts.  And he was too paranoid to get baptized on Friday the 13th - so we settled on the 20th.

As for Mk. - our district leaders weren't comfortable with him getting baptized so soon because only a week and a half earlier he had quite smoking.  Mk was devastated when we told him, but his faith is so strong.  He told us he was willing to do anything to be baptized.

That statement is worth a million dollars to a missionary.

So, yesterday he had his baptismal interview.  He passed!  (of course), and our district leader pulled me aside to tell me how impressed he was of Mk's testimony.  and all I could say was, "Well - duh."  I've been trying to tell you!  He's so ready.  He and N. are so anxious to get to the temple.

These individuals - they're incredible.

IN OTHER NEWS:  I ate diggy-dog last night.  I say "diggy-dog" to soften the blow.  but yes.  I ate dog.  I kept it down, too.  and woke up feeling incredible.  and barking.

...joke.  I didn't wake up barking.  not funny?  I know.  crude.  my humor is taking a left turn.  and fast.  I asked Sister L. at the dinner appointment what it was, and she just looked at me and said, "uh...meat."  I knew it right then.  Later she broke the news.  whatever.  I think I've eaten worse.  It's better not to ask questions.

I have done a lot of personal studying this week.  My heart is full with gratitude for this Gospel.  

I know that in our service to Jesus Christ, He comes close to us.
I feel it.
I know that the Atonement of Jesus Christ is the source of abundant peace in this life.
I know that. 
We are so blessed and have so many reasons to be happy.

- Sister Frame

No comments:

Post a Comment