Monday, October 7, 2013

Lasting Legacy of the Tower of Babel

Christmas came early this year!  thanks for the package, Brett, and letters, Grandma Ray and Grandma Frame, and mom.  It was a great Sunday delivery from the ZL's.

You all talked about how great General Conference was...but the reality of the Philippines is that we are 15 hours ahead of you...so I don't get to watch conference until next Sunday.  I realized that you would all be watching conference...I got a little homesick...Oh, how I wish I could enjoy conference weekend like I used to - with all our friends gathered in the apartment for breakfast; or all driving to D.S.'s house for the weekend.  

I'm thrilled to watch it this upcoming Saturday - and I will pay close attention to the talks you claimed as your favorites.

     As for me:

I was able to watch the Relief Society General Broadcast Saturday afternnon.

I'll admit...

I think it was my first time watching one of those.

But I LOVED it.  Especially because it was in English.  It was the first time since I left the MTC that I was able to be spiritually uplifted through something I could actually fully understand.  We had about 50 Relief Society women show up at 1:00 pm.  They came from all over the area (some traveling hours to be there), dressed in their Sunday best to come watch.  

I was impressed.

However, it totally stressed me out because it WAS in English (with no Tagalog subtitles or anything)

and I was thinking,

How do these people understand?  They aren't getting this...

But then as I thought about it, I was touched.

Their diligence,
and willingness to come and listen and feel of the Spirit and see the Prophet regardless.  

It was an example to me.

MY FRUSTRATING/ENLIGHTENING MOMENT OF THE WEEK:

Sister L. and I were waiting in the chapel last Tuesday for an appointment with a member.  I became discouraged as we talked to him.

Many of the members are quick to assume that because I don't know fluent Tagalog, I just basically don't know anything.

Like they just think that I don't know where we're teaching, or the peoples' needs, or even the names of our investigators.  

They honestly look at me like I'm deaf and blind.  And I was just so genuinely sad.  Because I felt so stupid.

As we left and walked to N.'s,  I was expressing to Sister L. how hard it is that the members think I am completely incompetent as a missionary here...and ok - yes - I cried.  sorta.  I got teary.  But we got to N.'s.  As we walked up, Sh. (her 2 year old daughter) came out and gave me a hug.  and I literally just broke.  But, I just picked up Sh. and cried.  N. came out and asked why I was crying - hold up - I feel ok crying in front of Nilda because she is like a sister to me.  I talked to her about it and quickly got over it
and we taught our lesson
and went on with our lives.

But, the other day, N. gave me 2 letters.  One from her.  One from M.  I read them as I walked home.  They were the sweetest letters I have ever read.  They were written in pure English.  and you know what - it was awful English.  I couldn't even understand some sentences.  But the love that I felt from them, made those letters perfect.
Brett also wrote me a letter this week and he mentioned the Relief Society motto, "Charity never Faileth." and he said

Charity is speaking Tagalog even if you don't know it perfectly or how to pronounce it correctly, but speaking it with love.

I honestly would not have completely understood the meaning of what he told me if I hadn't seen it through the example of M. and N.  They are very special people to me.

And...moving on:

There are many things each day that happen that I wish were on film.  funny, sad, hilarious moments that I just can't fully explain.  If they made a reality TV show of Sister L. and me we would seriously become more famous than the missionaries on "the district."  or we would be emergency transferred for being so hilarious.

We make the long walks and the hottest days fun to endure.  Sister L. is so with it.  She can totally keep up with American humor.  We spend the majority of our days just laughing and telling jokes.  Most of our investigators tell us they can hear us coming because we laugh so hard...or we have all the kids chasing us down the road.

I don't know what it is but every single barangay we teach in has a gang or 6-10 year olds that love to follow us.  They ask us the same questions every single day:  What's your name?  Where do you live?  What do you eat?  (answer:  mga bata!  "little children!")  Are you married?  Where is your mom?

It's fun.  This is fun.

I'm gonna write a book when I get home, Indigestion sa Pilipinas, Tae Kayo...Po*.   It will be a short story series.

I am grateful for each of your examples.  I'm on a mission because of them.  And I promise you that this Gospel of Jesus Christ is real.  I know it with my whole heart.  It's the best feeling really.  Life is good when you know things are true. 

- Sister Frame
Favorite scriptures of the week:  Mark 5:36 and 16:15-20, 3 Nephi 27:27, Doctrine and Covenants section 6

*Bonus story below.  You've been warned:

Last night I had the WORST dinner appointment of my life.  It was at one of our investigators houses, and it is going to take all of the energy of my heart to get me to go back there.

She fed us blood pudding and frog scewers.  Oh come on people!  The thing is - I've eaten worse...but last night I was just not in the mood.  Blood pudding tastes like...blood.  but from a pig.  It should never be consumed by anyone, or any living creature.  And to the Elders who claim to "like it," you need to see a doctor.  Frog is really chewy.  I kept trying to convince myself it was some kind of candy.  That mind game only held me over until we left the appointment.  Then it all came out.  So, Nathan and Davis, the next time you complain about what mom makes for dinner...go catch a frog and see how that tastes.


No comments:

Post a Comment