Monday, December 2, 2013

Heaven Pictures



We don't have Thanksgiving here in the Philippines, but naturally, I've been reflecting on the things I'm most thankful for.

So, I figured, I'd send a list of a few:

I'm Thankful for the weather:  It was actually like 102 this week.  Seriously - so miserable.  Then on Thursday Heavenly Father wanted to do me a solid favor and He made it super cloudy and windy. and no rain!  It was the coolest.  Sister L and I were walking down the roads passing the fields.  We stopped and sat down on a hill for a little bit to soak in the perfect day and share what we are grateful for.

I'm  Thankful for Sister L:  She's my best friend.  She's afraid of dogs....which supplies a whole lifetime of laughter as we work.  There are a lot of dogs in the Philippines.

I'm Thankful for the colors in the Philippines:  It's beautiful.  This place is beautiful.

I'm Thankful for Nanay V:  She has beautiful eyes that light up the world.  I don't know if I'm ever gonna see her again.  I will hold on to the memory of hugging her goodbye yesterday after church.  I didn't have the heart to tell her I was getting transferred.  But, I can hang out with her in heaven one day.

I'm Thankful you can J-Walk in the Philippines:   Technically you can't.  But nothing happens if you do.

I'm Thankful for "heaven pictures:"  Loey taught me when I was in high school.

Heaven pictures are for when you don't have time to take a picture with a real camera.

Like when you are in the moment of walking down the road and a tricey with 17 school kids hanging off of it as it drives by.
Or when you are sitting at your desk studying, and you look out the window to see a 90-year old, 4 foot nanny walking by with a basket full of things that weigh 6 times more than her on the top of her head.
I've taken millions of heaven pics.  I CAN'T WAIT to see the slide show of them all when I get there.

I'm Thankful for the lesson we had with Tatay C on Saturday:  This really was a miracle.  T.C. is one of the smartest men I've met here.  The C family used to be active in the ward.  Each week.  Lots of kids.  Then.....? Every missionary fears T.C.  Nobody has the patience or confidence to teach him.

On Saturday, Sister L and I went over there.  He asked us who we came to teach.  Somehow, Heavenly Father gave us the courage to say, "Ikaw na lang T!"  (you!)
He seemed shocked, hesitant.  Then he agreed.  I turned to Sister L, so nervous.  I was praying really hard.

We just talked with him.  Not as missionaries.  But as fellow siblings.  As children of God.  And we listened to him.  The spirit was stronger than I've ever felt it.  really.

On Sunday - he came to church.  for the first time in 13 years!!  It was incredible.  It being the first Sunday of the month, he stood up and testified of the truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  It was the coolest moment to be able to witness.

I will never forget the feelings I had in that lesson and in that testimony meeting for the rest of my life.  This work is so cool.

I'm Thankful for classic Filipino kids:  Sister L and I were lost in our own world of enthusiasm after the lesson (mentioned above).  After a few minutes of talking with each other I turned to notice 16 little kids, barefoot and giggly following closely behind us.  Trying to be sneaky.  When they noticed they were caught they started laughing even harder.  So...I started running...and they started chasing.  This white girl running down the dirt roads of the Phlippines being chased by a gang of 4-10 year old.  (don't worry.  i turned to take a heaven pic).  It was so fun.  It's these moments I love.  The moments that make everything worth it.

I'm Thankful for Costa Vida and washing machines:  enough said.

I'm Thankful for my family:  obviously.  you're all astir talaga.

I'm Thankful for the memories of Delta Phi 47th and the incredible friends/roommates I've been blessed with.  You have taught me more than you know.  I'm grateful.

I'm Thankful for this Gospel.  It's all we need to be truly happy.

"A grateful person is rich in contentment.   An ungrateful person suffers in the poverty of endless discontentment."  Elder Bednar

Sister Frame
Favorite Scripture this week:  1 Thessalonians 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment